Client Architect – Infrastructure
Recently, I had the opportunity to assist a major construction firm with their digital transformation. Like many organizations, COVID drove the need to support a remote workforce. However, additional factors were at play, including IT staffing shortages and aging infrastructure that was nearing end of support.
Given the distributed nature of the company’s ROBO (remote office, branch office) and SOHO (small office, home office) locations, their IT staff faced challenges managing their on-premises infrastructure with limited resources.
Without a network team, it didn’t make business sense to renew their infrastructure tools and continue to manage an on-prem environment. They wanted to move entirely to the cloud. Because they were already using Office 365 for email and SharePoint, moving their SMB (CIFS) shares to Azure would complete their cloud journey.
The data migration would deliver on 3 key business goals:
1. Reduce their overall costs (data storage & infrastructure)
2. Enable employees to easily access data from anywhere
3. Minimize backhaul traffic through corporate firewalls and VPNs
DataEndure helped them determine that Azure Files was the best path to achieve their goals. However, when migrating CIFS data from on-premises to Azure Files, there are several pitfalls an organization may encounter.
A critical part of every migration strategy is identifying and avoiding the gotchas. DataEndure performed the advance work to help ensure a successful migration and seamless transition for the company.
7 Common Cloud Migration Pitfalls
1. Bandwidth limitations: The transfer of large data volumes over the network can be time-consuming and cause network congestion or slowdowns to other critical applications operating on the network.
2. Security concerns: Maintain the security of your data throughout the migration process and after it has been moved to the cloud. This includes ensuring proper configuration of access controls and implementing encryption for data in transit and at rest.
3. Compatibility issues: Some applications may not be compatible with the new cloud environment or may require substantial modifications to operate correctly.
4. Data integrity: Ensure the accurate migration of your data, with no data loss or corruption issues arising during the process.
5. Cost: Consider the storage cost for your cloud environment and ensure that it aligns with your budget and usage requirements.
6. Operational complexities: The migration of CIFS data can be a complex process, so make sure your organization has the necessary skills and expertise to oversee the migration and manage the cloud environment effectively.
7. Downtime: Depending on the migration strategy and tools utilized, bear in mind potential downtime involved when transferring CIFS data from on-premises to the cloud.
Too often, organizations underestimate the complexity of cloud transformations, leading to costly mistakes and delays. But, with careful planning and preparation, a smooth migration is achievable.
In the case of the construction firm, DataEndure’s methodology ensured a seamless transition:
1. Assessment: Assessed the existing CIFS infrastructure to detect potential challenges during the migration process. The evaluation included identifying compatibility issues between the on-premises CIFS infrastructure and Azure Files, as well as recognizing any performance or capacity concerns that could affect the migration.
2. Planning: Developed a comprehensive migration plan that outlines the necessary steps to transfer the CIFS data from on-premises to Azure Files.
3. Migration: Facilitated the actual migration process of the on-premises CIFS data to Azure Files, utilizing a range of effective migration tools and techniques.
4. Testing: Aided in testing the migrated data to ensure its optimal performance and functionality in Azure Files. DataEndure’s comprehensive testing encompasses critical aspects such as data integrity, security, and performance.
5. Support: Offered ongoing support services to ensure the accessibility and security of the CIFS data in Azure Files.
Tap in Migration Experts
Adhering to best practices and collaborating with an experienced migration partner is key. If you’re planning a migration project, we’re here for you. We’ll ensure a secure, efficient, and cost-effective migration process. Contact us today.